In my final week of exploring web 2.0 technology for this project I have had a look at Google Maps and Mashups.
In the past I have frequently used Google Maps for finding locations and looking at what a building looks like via street view but I have never created a map of my own. I didn’t even know you could do it. With the expectation that it would be a difficult process I was happy to find out I was wrong. Deciding that I would map out some of my favourite places in my home town of Geelong I had no trouble pinning places such as the Geelong City Library and then drawing lines to link the places together.
Surprised with the ease of use I thought I would link some of my own photos to each of the places. This is where I come unstuck. I found out (thanks to a Google search) you cannot simply upload your own pictures from your computer, instead you have to upload your photos onto the internet (I used Google +) and then you can put them in your map. So I tried to share the link to my photos within my map, but all I got was broken links. Feeling a little broken and defeated myself I almost gave up but after hours of trying I figured out that my pictures would appear as a placemark or as an image in the description by dragging and dropping the image in to the relevant area. I am sure there is a more technical and correct way to do what I did but I am yet to find it and truthfully I don’t care because it worked in the end. So below is the final product.
View A Tour of my Favourite Places in Geelong in a larger map
Knowing what i know now Google Maps seems easy to use as a Mashup tool which got me thinking
as to how professionals in an information management setting could
utilise it. While IM businesses could use it for the obvious and put a map
on their website which pinned their location they could use it for more
creative purposes as well. Maybe the likes of a historical society or
library could map out a town pinning important landmarks, write a brief
summary of its relevance and link some photos of the building throughout
its history. Or they could use a web-mapping tool to pinpoint historic events on a map such as Bomb Site has done.
And what about Mashups for other purposes? Well after a quick Google search here are some of the more interesting ones i found...
Flickr Sudoku
As the name suggests you play a game of Sudoku using numbers from Flickr.
And what about Mashups for other purposes? Well after a quick Google search here are some of the more interesting ones i found...
Flickr Sudoku
As the name suggests you play a game of Sudoku using numbers from Flickr.
| Screenshot from http://flickrsudoku.com/ |
Search the
name of your friend's (or favourite celebrity's) Twitter name to find out their
sleeping patterns. This site uses a persons last 1000 tweets to determine an
approximate sleeping schedule.
| Screenshot from http://sleepingtime.org/ |
Say it in Bacon (Not for Vegetarians)
This website allows you to make your own text designs using
real bacon. The customised bacon design can then be printed onto a product such
as a T-Shirt.
| Screenshot from http://www.sayitinbacon.com/ |
Hi Katherine,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post on Maps and Mashups, although I'm not quite sure about the 'Say it in Bacon' site . . . 'The Sleeping Time' mashup is an interesting concept. As an idea, it has been something I have been thinking on when posting things online, as the times of everything you do is captured and viewed and suddenly your movements become very public.
I also wanted to say that the new template you are using for your blog looks great. Is that one of the free templates that you can download to Blogger that you mentioned on Stuart's blog? I don't remember seeing it in the options in Blogger but I might have missed it.
Hi Elizabeth.
DeleteIt is kind of creepy how your movements can be tracked by anyone these days isn't it?
Thanks for the comments on the look of the new blog template. I have changed it several times today but i have decided it is now staying the way it is. It isn't one of those free one's i mentioned on Stuart's blog it is one of the Blogger options (Awesome Inc), just modified slightly by changing the background image. My current background is found in the 'Textures' category of background images.
Hi Katherine and Elizabeth,
ReplyDeleteI also noticed your new background Katherine and have to admit it does look quite "cutting edge". I was wondering how you managed to change it as I didn't see the options on Blogger to create this type of template. Anyway too late now, I'll just have to stick with my original layout. And I did think the sleeping time mashup was rather creepy and takes the concept of celebrity worship to a whole new level!
Thanks for your comments Stuart. It is really appreciated.
DeleteI know it maybe too late but i have just posted a couple of YouTube clips that show how i got my design (though its a different background to what I've used). i hope it helps even if it is for a future blog.
And yes Sleeping Time does take celebrity worship to a whole new level. I wonder whether stalking cases have increased since Twitter was invented? It seems you can find out so much about people with it including when they sleep.